Skip to main content


During business hours, please see your options to contact Curtin Connect.


Can I take time off from study?

Thinking of starting university but first want a gap year?
As a domestic student, if you have made the decision to come to university but would like to take some time off, you can choose to take a gap semester/year. We would recommend that you apply for your undergraduate course first, and once you have your offer you can choose to defer for up to 12 months*, allowing you to secure your place at university and not have to worry about future application deadlines.
*Please note that some undergraduate Curtin courses do not allow deferral.
Postgraduate courses cannot be deferred. If you are interested in studying a postgraduate degree, you will need to submit an application for the study period in which you wish to commence study, so keep an eye on the application deadlines webpage. If you then wish to take a break, you can consider applying for a leave of absence (see below).
Are you a current student at Curtin wishing to take a break?
If you are a current student studying either an undergraduate or postgraduate course, and are looking to take some time off, you can apply for a leave of absence (LOA).
Is this answer helpful?
Updated 03/09/2021 11.33 AM