Skip to main content

As an international student, can I work in Australia while I'm studying?

You can work up to 40 hours a fortnight while your course is in session (excluding any work undertaken as a registered component of your course of study or training) and you can work unlimited hours during scheduled course breaks. You are not permitted to work until you have started your course.

If you are undertaking Higher Degree by Research, you have unlimited work rights after you start your Masters by Research or Doctorate course. However, while you are undertaking any preliminary courses, such as an English language course, you can only work a maximum of 40 hours per fortnight.

Your family members can work up to 40 hours per fortnight, after you have started your course of study in Australia. If you are doing a postgraduate course, such as a Masters degree, your family members can work unlimited hours once you start your study.

Please refer to the Department of Home Affairs for further information on work conditions for student visa holders.

Is this answer helpful?
Updated 24/07/2018 12.30 AM

Are you receiving our latest info?

Want to know more about our new courses, career possibilities and the best ways to manage your time?

Keep in touch to receive fresh ideas, tips and resources and be the first to hear about upcoming events.

Find out more keyboard_arrow_right