Skip to main content



Do I need to apply for Leave of Absence (LOA)?

A Leave of Absence (LOA) provides a break from study for students who are admitted to a degree course. An LOA application notifies the University of the student's intended study break, thereby keeping their position in the course and allowing a return to studies at the time agreed. Students who do not maintain continuity in their course may have their academic status changed to "Absent without Leave".
It is recommended for students, who do not intend to enrol in units for more than one consecutive study period, to apply for an LOA.
Each LOA application covers up to a maximum of 12 months. Additional LOA may be considered on a case by case basis.
Undergraduate students who are in a Commonwealth Supported place (CSP) submit their LOA applications through OUA.
Undergraduate students who are non-CSP or postgraduate students submit their LOA applications through Curtin.
Undergraduate students must have completed at least one unit in their degree course to be eligible to apply. Open access students do not need to apply.
Is this answer helpful?
Updated 20/04/2020 10.43 AM