Skip to main content


Whatever your dream career or ATAR result, we’re here to help you find your place at Curtin, contact Curtin Connect to discuss with a friendly Advisor.
SCHOLARSHIPS- If you are experiencing issues with the scholarships application portal, creating an account or logging in, please refer to this help document.


What are the HELP eligibility requirements for New Zealand citizens?

If you are an eligible New Zealand Special Category Visa (SCV) holder and meet the requisite criteria, you will be able to access a HELP loan to pay your tuition fees.

To be eligible, you must:

  • Be a New Zealand citizen who holds a Special Category Visa (SCV)
  • Have first entered Australia as a dependent minor aged under 18 years
  • Have been residing in Australia for the previous 10 years (and you have been present in Australia for at least eight out of those 10 years) at the time of application for the loan
  • Have been residing in Australia for the past 18 months out of the last 2 years at the time of application for the loan
  • Meet the other eligibility criteria for a HELP loan under the Higher Education Support Act 2003 (HESA).

If you are applying for a HELP loan, you must provide proof of your eligibility when submitting an electronic Commonwealth Assistance Form (eCAF).

The documents you must submit with your eCAF are:

Australian Permanent Residency for New Zealand citizens

If you are a New Zealand citizen and gain permanent residency (PR) in Australia, you will lose your SCV status. If you lose your SCV status for any reason, you become ineligible for HELP for all units of study with census dates after the date your SCV status is lost.

You can find further information about HELP loan eligibility on the StudyAssist website.

Updated 29/09/2022 02.33 PM