Skip to main content

What is the difference between postgraduate coursework and research programs?

Postgraduate coursework programs have a structure consisting of core, optional and elective units and therefore require enrolment in these units, attendance at any timetabled classes and completion of required assignments. Some postgraduate courses and units are now available through online study and attendance is not required. Most Master by Coursework courses have a research element and may require the completion of a minor thesis.

Postgraduate research qualifications are awarded following the completion of a major thesis, involving independent original research, under the supervision of a senior academic. Students may be required to undertake some units to expand their skills, but this is decided on an individual basis. Progress on the courses is assessed through reports from student and supervisor to the relevant graduate studies committee, not through required assignments.


Is this answer helpful?
Updated 12/11/2018 03.57 PM

Are you receiving our latest info?

Want to know more about our new courses, career possibilities and the best ways to manage your time?

Keep in touch to receive fresh ideas, tips and resources and be the first to hear about upcoming events.

Find out more keyboard_arrow_right